Monday, April 4, 2016

Embracing magic - April five on five

MAGIC, I love the thought of it. I love fairy tales and castles and imaginary princesses trapped in solitary towers (especially when the princess saves herself). Oh, and sparkling pixie dust and musical spells and mice who wear clothes.

So, of course, Disney World. Loved it when I was little, loved it as an adult, ADORED it when my girls were wide-eyed toddlers. When she was not quite three, my now almost-17-year-old stared up at Cinderella and BELIEVED that she would keep her safe from that nasty witch, Maleficent, hanging out nearby.

My girls are almost past magic, but not quite. So a few weeks ago, I grabbed my two teenagers and we set off for Florida once again and bundled a lot of fun and exploration into a very short few days. And I discovered (remembered?) that magic is always waiting to be found. 

The magic I grew up loving. I felt like bursting into song when we turned a corner from Tomorrowland and were met by this vision.

You would think I would have focused on the castle. But no, it is my lovely, brilliant daughter who captures the moment.

It's not a magic fountain, certainly not a perfect photo, but the light pulled me toward it every time I walked by,

Seriously, these two. If this isn't magic, I don't know what is.

The castle again. But different. Not the perfect fireworks shot, but powerful. And the shadowed tower in the foreground? MAGIC.
*********

Where did the month go? Can't believe this is my third five on five (five photos on the fifth of the month) - a project I share with some very talented photographers. As usual, I scrambled to pull my five together. But no matter, I made it! 
Now you MUST travel on and visit my sister, Kim's, 5 on 5 post - you will definitely find magic there!


12 comments:

  1. You captured such beautiful moments. I love the image of the two giggling girls and also the firework smoke around the castle. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much, Stephanie...I loved this month. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous pics Lianne! What kind of camera do you shoot with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! When I have my act together, I use my good camera - gifted to me by my sister - a Panasonic GF1 (a micro four thirds camera). However, I am still not always good at carrying it with me all the time so of the photos above, only the ones of my girls are taken with the good camera (and you can tell). The castles and the fountain are taken with my iPhone. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I am blown away what great photos you are getting with your iphone - the castle with the fireworks!!! Holy moly. Love each and every one of these, and I love the magic just as you do... wish we'd been there to capture it with you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Kim! I love the photos I get with the iphone - but I think I need an upgrade to get a little more clarity. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Never too old for magic! LOVE all of these. And I especially love that you focused on your girl, rather than the castle. Much more special!
    Your girls are beautiful and clearly happy to be back with Mickey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice! (and you should see the photo of younger daughter surrounded by mickey dolls) ;-)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful shots, Lianne. Love the lighting. Magical photos of the castle and beautiful daughters.

    Sharon Boyd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm not a Disney person, never have been. But your photos are magical. There is something so very special in each one. Like the drops of water in the light in the shot of the fountain. And the lovely light around the castle in the first one. Your photos tell a story, of what I'm certain will be a lovely memory for you and your sweet girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Maureen - glad the magic that I see came through!

      Delete